Which would required all developers to update all APIs to annotate, where some
magic value may be used - because otherwise all non-Swift APIs would return
optional Ints or run into risk of crashing during runtime (since once entering
Swift code, the value would become nil)...

I agree that it would be the ideal case, but reastically, given how many APIs
out there are still with no nullability annotations (and it's been what - 3-4
years now?), I don't see this practical...