Haven’t had a chance to catch up on the latest discussion, but I just saw that
the Yarn developers posted an excellent piece on lockfiles this week:

https://yarnpkg.com/blog/2016/11/24/lockfiles-for-all
<https://yarnpkg.com/blog/2016/11/24/lockfiles-for-all>

They argue lockfiles should be commited by libraries (but still ignored by
applications). The essential point is that this makes it easier for developers
of the library to maintain a coherent build of the library when dependencies
ship a bug. The focus is particularly on new developers, who would otherwise
lack a lockfile.