> On 13 Jan 2017, at 10:43, Tony Freeman via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> I found this very useful while wrapping c api, although this may simplify the
> code in other cases when subscript doesn't have it's own state and(or) share
> some state form the container.
>
> here is an example:
> https://gist.github.com/tonyfreeman/949ce0a9aa374ab6fa2fc7de0dccaa27
> <https://gist.github.com/tonyfreeman/949ce0a9aa374ab6fa2fc7de0dccaa27>
>
> another option would be use set/get functions, but it doesn't feel right.
>
> Thank you

I don’t see why it even needs to have a name in that example. Why not just make
it a regular subscript? The meaning should be obvious since you are passing a
constant like “SO_REUSEADDR”. You could even make your own “SocketOption” enum
to make things nicer:

socket[.allowPortReuse] = true

Subscript declarations are a little weird. They have an implicit “_” as their
first parameter name, but you can override that and provide an explicit name.
So, you could write your subscript as “subscript(option option: Int32) -> Bool”:

socket[option: SO_REUSEADDR]    // or
socket[option: .allowPortReuse]

Would that suit your needs?

- Karl