> On Jan 23, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 23, 2017, at 2:06 PM, Ben Cohen via swift-evolution
>>

>>> On Jan 23, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Joshua Alvarado <alvaradojosh...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:alvaradojosh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Taken from NSHipster <http://nshipster.com/nsregularexpression/>:
>>> Happily, on one thing we can all agree. In NSRegularExpression, Cocoa has
>>> the most long-winded and byzantine regular expression interface you’re ever
>>> likely to come across.
>>>
>>> There is no way to achieve the goal of being better at string processing
>>> than Perl without regular expressions being addressed. It just should not
>>> be ignored.
>>

>> We’re certainly not ignoring the importance of regexes. But if there’s a key
>> takeaway from your experiences with NSRegularExpression, it’s that a good
>> regex implementation matters, a lot. That’s why we don’t want to rush one in
>> alongside the rest of the overhaul of String. Instead, we should take our
>> time to make it really great, and building on a solid foundation of a good
>> String API that’s already in place should help ensure that.
>
> I do think that there's some danger to focusing too narrowly on regular
> expressions as they appear in languages today. I think the industry has
> largely moved on to fully-structured formats that require proper parsing
> beyond what traditional regexes can handle. The decades of experience with
> Perl shows that making regexes too easy to use without an easy ramp up to
> more sophisticated string processing leads to people cutting corners trying
> to make regex-based designs kind-of work. The Perl 6 folks recognized this
> and developed their "regular expression" support into something that
> supported arbitrary grammars; I think we'd do well to start at that level by
> looking at what they've done.
>
> -Joe

I fully agree. I think we could learn something from Perl 6 grammars. As PCREs
are to languages without regex, Perl 6 grammars are to languages with PCREs.

A lot of really crappy user interfaces and bad tools come down to half-assed
parsers; maybe we can do better? (Another argument against rushing it).

Russ