Class variables are not common, but they are the most natural way to implement
class-specific functionality. Off the top of my head, I have used class
variables for:

1) Custom allocation schemes, e.g. pools, LRU implementations
2) Diagnostics, e.g. counting the number of instances of a given class
3) Plugin-in functionality, e.g. customizing behavior of a class at runtime. In
Swift, the variables would be closures.

You can argue that class variables these are not strictly necessary for these
tasks, but I have found them to be handy, including during development and
“Bring-up"

- Chris