> On 14 Aug 2017, at 17:12, Matthias Heymann via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that strictly speaking, the camel casing of methods like
> “layoutSubviews()” and "layoutIfNeeded()" in the UIView class is wrong:

The terminology comes from UIView, which has been part of iOS since at least
2.0:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiview#1653518
<https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiview#1653518>

The documentation uses 'layout' as a verb. Indeed, this has been the case for
many years and is present on other operating systems, e.g. macOS:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsview#1661978
<https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsview#1661978>

The word 'layout' has been used as a verb in other computer systems as well,
such as Java's AWT from around the time macOS was born in 1997:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/Component.html#layout--
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/Component.html#layout-->

So it's around 20 years too late to complain about 'layout' being used as a
verb.

In any case, this isn't a swift issue, as these are existing frameworks from
Apple platforms, and so it's not appropriate to discuss them further here.

Alex