> On 3 Jan 2018, at 02:07, Jordan Rose wrote:
>
> [Proposal:
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0192-non-exhaustive-enums.md
>
> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0192-non-exhaustive-enums.md>]
>
> Whew! Thanks for your feedback, everyone. On the lighter side of
> feedback—naming things—it seems that most people seem to like '@frozen', and
> that does in fact have the connotations we want it to have. I like it too.

Should there be a new Clang attribute for "frozen" enums? Then the existing
`__attribute__((enum_extensibility(closed)))` would only prevent "private"
cases (and not future "public" cases).

<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/AttributeReference.html#enum-extensibility-clang-enum-extensibility>

> More seriously, this discussion has convinced me that it's worth including
> what the proposal discusses as a 'future' case. The key point that swayed me
> is that this can produce a warning when the switch is missing a case rather
> than an error, which both provides the necessary compiler feedback to update
> your code and allows your dependencies to continue compiling when you update
> to a newer SDK. I know people on both sides won't be 100% satisfied with
> this, but does it seem like a reasonable compromise?
>
> The next question is how to spell it. I'm leaning towards `unexpected case:`,
> which (a) is backwards-compatible, and (b) also handles "private cases",
> either the fake kind that you can do in C (as described in the proposal), or
> some real feature we might add to Swift some day. `unknown case:` isn't bad
> either.

You might end up with `case .unknown:` and `unknown case:` in the same switch.

e.g. <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/photos/phassetmediatype>

        ```
        switch mediaType {
        case .image, .video, .audio: