`Slice` family of types (there are many) are well documented to share the
indices and inherit the semantics. All collections that have a SubSequence of a
Slice type, share indices. Unfortunately, standard library is not well
documented in general and collection API have undergone big changes in Swift
3.0, so this may not be very clear now.

The problem with `String.CharacterView` is that its SubSequence is not a
`Slice` type.

Try this out:

let subSeq1 = "abc".characters.prefix(1)
let subSeq2 = Array("abc".characters).prefix(1)

print(type(of:subSeq1)) // prints CharacterView
print(type(of:subSeq2)) // prints ArraySlice<Character>

Converting `String.CharacterView` to Array<Character> is an expensive operation
and will kill the performance of string manipulation, but will work as you
expect, since Array is properly sliced.