Dear all

I've found a serious Bug in the JSON encoding foundations. [ SR-6631
<https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-6631> ]

This bug cause JSON encoding issues on Doubles when using a locale that does
not use dot as decimal separator e.g « fr_FR » (we use a coma)
When using such a locale JSONEncoder & JSONSerialization encodes the Double
value with the localized decimal separator.

Code proof of the issue :

import Foundation

// Required to call setLocale
import Darwin

// Let's set to french
setlocale(LC_ALL,"fr_FR")

struct Shot:Codable{
    let seconds:Double
}

let shot = Shot(seconds: 1.1)

do{
    let data = try JSONEncoder().encode(shot)
    if let json =  String(data:data, encoding:.utf8){
        // the result is : "{"seconds":1,1000000000000001} »
        // should be : "{"seconds":1.1000000000000001} »
        // The decimal separator should not be "," but "."
        print(json)
    }
}catch{
    print("\(error)")
}

exit(EX_OK)

Fix Proposal :

 in swift-corelibs-foundation
https://github.com/benoit-pereira-da-silva/swift-corelibs-foundation/blob/7bf5fc770471bcc6f9050cbdcd49492feccda2f2/Foundation/JSONSerialization.swift#L308

<https://github.com/benoit-pereira-da-silva/swift-corelibs-foundation/blob/7bf5fc770471bcc6f9050cbdcd49492feccda2f2/Foundation/JSONSerialization.swift#L308>
In `JSONSerialization.swift` line 308  may be should we specify
`kCFNumberFormatterDecimalSeparator` ?
Adding :  CFNumberFormatterSetProperty(formatter,
kCFNumberFormatterDecimalSeparator,CFSTR("."))

    private lazy var _numberformatter: CFNumberFormatter = {
        let formatter: CFNumberFormatter
        formatter = CFNumberFormatterCreate(nil, CFLocaleCopyCurrent(),
kCFNumberFormatterNoStyle)
        CFNumberFormatterSetProperty(formatter,
kCFNumberFormatterMaxFractionDigits, NSNumber(value: 15))
        CFNumberFormatterSetProperty(formatter,
kCFNumberFormatterDecimalSeparator,CFSTR("."))
        CFNumberFormatterSetFormat(formatter, "0.###############"._cfObject)
        return formatter
    }()

I would like to propose my fix, test it and, but i’m not mastering the
contribution mechanism.

Where should i start?

I ve forked swift-corelibs-foundation
<https://github.com/benoit-pereira-da-silva/swift-corelibs-foundation/blob/7bf5fc770471bcc6f9050cbdcd49492feccda2f2/Foundation/JSONSerialization.swift#L308>
How can i test my fix?

Thanks

Benoit Pereira da Silva
Ultra Mobile Developer & Movement Activist
Développeur Ultra Mobile & Militant du mouvement
https://pereira-da-silva.com <https://pereira-da-silva.com/>

This e-mail is confidential. Distribution, copy, publication or use of this
information for any purpose is prohibited without agreement of the sender.
Ce message est confidentiel. Toute distribution, copie, publication ou usage
des informations contenues dans ce message sont interdits sans agrément
préalable de l'expéditeur.