Hi,

Two points:

1) What you want to do is a common operation in functional programming called
flatMap. Optional type already supports it. To get “x != nil ? f(x) : nil” you
say:

x.flatMap(f)

2) You don’t need multiple versions, because there is a subtype-supertype
relationship between functions: You need to specify the most general signature
in your single function. The most general form of the function is:

(XType) throws -> RetType?

To handle throwing case, you will need to define the return type of your own
function as:

fnil<...> (...) rethrows -> RetType?

Then it will accept any of the following signatures and it just works:

func f0(_ x: XType) -> RetType
func f1(_ x: XType) -> RetType?
func f2(_ x: XType?) -> RetType
func f3(_ x: XType?) -> RetType?
func f0t(_ x: XType) throws -> RetType
func f1t(_ x: XType) throws -> RetType?
func f2t(_ x: XType?) throws -> RetType
func f3t(_ x: XType?) throws -> RetType?

Hope this helps,
Hooman