On 9/2/2016 7:18 AM, Ambarish Rapte wrote:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the review comments,

Yes, we can use thePainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class object as a key in the PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.getResolutionVariant() method.

                But there is below concern,

1.If PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class object is used as key in /Map<Object, ImageCache> cacheMap;/

2.There will be only one key value pair entry in the /cacheMap/.

The CachedPainter.paint0() method uses getClass() as a key for the cacheMap. At least there should be more than 1 key (getClass() + PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class).

3.The /ImageCache/ value created for the /PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage class/ is only of size 1.

4.Hence there will be only one image present at a time in the /cacheMap/.

5.Each time a new image is added, previous one will get deleted. In method: /ImageCache::getEntry() => if (entries.size() >= maxCount) { entries.removeLast(); }/

6.This will result repeated deletion and creation of images.

This requires increase in the size of /ImageCache /associated with/PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class /key to a certain justified value.

For example, we can set the value to 8, so that at a time 8 images can be stored in the /ImageCache/. So for to add 9^th entry, last image would be removed.

I am not sure what this value can be. I think this value can be number of components.

SwinSet2 demo creates 17+ such images.

After deciding a good value, this change can be done, a lesser value may add to processing by re-creating images.

                Currently we have 2 approaches:

Approach1: /PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage /object as key, with/hashCode() & equals() /method/. /http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~arapte/8163261/webrev.02/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Earapte/8163261/webrev.02/>

Approach2: /PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class /object//as key, with a good justified size of/ImageCache. /http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~arapte/8163261/webrev.03/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Earapte/8163261/webrev.03/>

Could the image cache size be increased only for the PainterMultiResolutionCachedImage.class key in the approach 2 because other keys may require only one image?

  Thanks,
  Alexandr.

//

//

BOTH the approach would result in creating same number of creating images, in a normal scenario.

however depending of GC/OOM this can change, as we have soft references to images.

I observed over a long run of SwingSet2, Approach2 creates less number of images, but Approach1 recreates images.

Another difference would be,

Approach1 will add <key, value> pair entries to /Map<Object, ImageCache> cacheMap/.

&

Approach2 will add only ONE <key, value> pair entry to /Map<Object, ImageCache> cacheMap;/ But add entries to associated /ImageCache/.

I think, approach 2 can be used with a justified size of ImageCache. In webrev.03 it is 32.

Please provide, your comments.

Regards,

Ambarish