You probably want to create an javax.swing.EventListenerList. Here's the
javadocs.

 * Usage example:
 *    Say one is defining a class that sends out FooEvents, and one wants
 * to allow users of the class to register FooListeners and receive
 * notification when FooEvents occur.  The following should be added
 * to the class definition:
 * <pre>
 * EventListenerList listenerList = new EventListenerList();
 * FooEvent fooEvent = null;
 *
 * public void addFooListener(FooListener l) {
 *     listenerList.add(FooListener.class, l);
 * }
 *
 * public void removeFooListener(FooListener l) {
 *     listenerList.remove(FooListener.class, l);
 * }
 *
 *
 * // Notify all listeners that have registered interest for
 * // notification on this event type.  The event instance
 * // is lazily created using the parameters passed into
 * // the fire method.
 *
 * protected void fireFooXXX() {
 *     // Guaranteed to return a non-null array
 *     Object[] listeners = listenerList.getListenerList();
 *     // Process the listeners last to first, notifying
 *     // those that are interested in this event
 *     for (int i = listeners.length-2; i>=0; i-=2) {
 *         if (listeners[i]==FooListener.class) {
 *             // Lazily create the event:
 *             if (fooEvent == null)
 *                 fooEvent = new FooEvent(this);
 *             ((FooListener)listeners[i+1]).fooXXX(fooEvent);
 *     }
 * }
 * </pre>
 * foo should be changed to the appropriate name, and fireFooXxx to the
 * appropriate method name.  One fire method should exist for each
 * notification method in the FooListener interface.