I tried your solution for my problem but no success.

While debugging the application with JBuilder the "invokeLater" block is only called
once out of the main loop reporting the final totals.

Short descriptrion of the JPanel Runnable application:
- contructor add's a number of JTextField to the JPanel (start path, title, feedback)
and a JButton.
- when the JButton is pressed the loop starts:
-- init and start of the Thread and open database
-- loop thru all directories and write to the database
-- stop Thread and close database
- the "run" method sleeps for 1 sec and calls your "invokeLater" block updating the
JTextField's

That's all
Willy

The right way (tm) is to put every modification from another Thread
into the AWT Eventqueue. Fortunately, there is a helper for this:

public void run() {

tfCount.setText(...);

}
});