I'm building an application that allows users to enter calendar events, which
are later processed to generate an HTML events calendar.

It stores event data in XML, and combines the event data with augmented XML
information and an XSLT stylesheet, to generate the HTML output.

Presently, the event text is just straight text.  I'm exploring strategies for
allowing the user to "accent" portions of the event description, perhaps just
to specify "bold" and "italic" (or both) pieces in the description.

I'm using JDOM and JDK 1.4.0.

One strategy would be to translate the description into a DOM nodeset, so the
user could directly enter "<i>" and "<b>" tags.  I haven't thought through all
the details of this process yet.  It could be quite annoying if they entered
invalid HTML.

I wondered whether a one-line JEditorPane would allow the user to add and edit
RTF format, allowing them to interactively specify font styles.  From looking
at the JEditorPane and related RTF classes, I didn't see a way to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas I could use?