> I will never recommend PHP to a customer or even a friend; however I
> heard about an Apache module (by SuSE apparently) which is designed as a
> security layer for mod_perl and mod_php. I haven't even tried it yet, but
> I will the next time I need to support others' bad decisions.

If you know what you are doing and develop PhP application with security
in mind from the first moment, 95% of all potential PhP exploits can be
avoided.

Absolutely strict, brutal and dictatoric input validation as a first
action of the application is a must in any PhP project. Only variables
explicitly allowed to pass should be passed and checked at least for their
data types and sizes. Plus additional checks if needed. The CPU cost of
such checks are fairly low.

On a sidenote: mail() is not very optimal solution for mailings anyway,
full SMTP stack implementations such as PHPMailer are better, although not
exploit free solution.

--
Kirill Ponazdyr
Technical Director