Hi all

On Friday 13 April 2007, Schmid wrote:
> Funny thing is one ISP is switching off his SMTP relay telling
> the client to use other smtp relay in the wild and call that a
> first action according to the "stop spam" campaign. another
> one is blocking port25 und force the user to use the ISP?s
> SMTP Relay and even explain this is done due to the "stop
> spam" campaign

Here's what I think would be reasonable to fight spam. And in the
first place it really would help fight spam comming from
trojanized computers - until spammers start to use the Outlook|
Thunderbird|whatever configured authenticated SMTP/Submission
Access:

* Block destination port 25. This prevents bots from sending
email directly to the victims MXes. No one wants to (must not)
run an MTA in a dialup range: Many MXes dont accept emails
orginating from dial-up rages. No one wants to (must not) run an
MX in a dial-up range. The risk of delaying or losing email due
to a IP change is not acceptable. And what if the successor of
the IP runs an MX which accepts all Mail..?

* Provide an relaying MTA accepting emails from authenticated
connections on port 25 or 587 (Submission, which is intended for
exactly this use case). I dont know if Tele2/Econophone do this.

* Allow connections with destination port 587 to let your users
relay to any thrid party email provider. Tele2/Econophone do
this.

Given the second point is OK, this whole blocking thing this not
a bad idea. And its not that hard to configure
fetchmail/authenticated relaying to a smarthost for geeks who
want to run their own email infrastructure (in contrary it adds
som salt to the whole soup ;)

Now waht I think is really bad is the thing that
Econophone/Tele2's Information website is really bad. These
three very easy points are no where clearly explained. The
lengthy FAQ beats arround the bush and rather confuses the
reader than making the situation clear to him. *hinthinthint*

Probably one of these guys can confirm this or explain the
differences (and probably add it to their Information Pages...).

Have fun

Michi