> Instead of the 8ms to reach that same host from the other trace.
>
> /me also wonders when "ISP's" start to drop those silly ICMP filters
> which are really far from helpful when trying to debug issues.

well. icmp is devil, because you can tunnel everything with it, but more used
is TCP/UDP so why not block those two unsecure ip-protocol as well ?
</paranoiamode>
some admin block icmp echo so people can's figure out where the network
bottleneck is, or not let discover the fact of carrying traffic over an rented
MPLS instead of the marketing propagated "own fiberconnection between x-
y"
others don't like  game-freaks complaining about an 25msec RTT...

all good reason to block icmp-8 ;-)

just my small opinion