Dear all,

most of you will have heard about the planned "Anti-Counterfeiting
Trade Agreement" which despite the name intends to not only address
brand counterfeiting.  Rather, the plan is that an entire section
in the agreement will be devoted to placing burdens on ISPs with
regard to policing illegal content (and content which is legal, but
where illegality is claimed anyway).

The Federal Institute of Intellectual Property ( IGE, http://ige.ch/ )
which participates in the name of Switzerland in these negotiations
has recently released a document which gives the following information
regarding this:

"""
Section 4: Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement in the Digital Environment

This section of the agreement is intended to address some of the
special challenges that new technologies pose for enforcement of
intellectual property rights, such as the possible role and
responsibilities of internet service providers in deterring copyright
and related rights piracy over the Internet. No draft proposal has
been tabled yet, as discussions are still focused on gathering
information on the different national legal regimes to develop a
common understanding on how to deal best with these issues.
"""

The document is available in English and French, as follows:
English: http://www.ige.ch/e/jurinfo/documents/j1070401e.pdf
French:  http://www.ipi.ch/f/jurinfo/documents/j1070401f.pdf

IGE is planning to organize a consultation after the next round
of negotiations, which IGE expects to take place in May or June.
Currently things are still on hold due to the USA having a new
president etc.

Another opportunity for communicating our perspective is IGE's
"Urheberrechtsgespräch" which will take place in May, where the
"Internet Community" is one of the stakeholder groups which has
been invited to send representatives.

As I announced last week, I'm organizing a preparatory meeting
for that this coming Friday in Zurich.  In view of the developments
regarding ACTA I think that it would be particularly important for
people who understand the ISP's perspective to be strongly represented
at this meeting.  (The people who will be representing the "internet
community" are well-intentioned, but I think they are not very
familiar with the perspectives of ISPs and technical geeks in
general.  I need your help in making them more aware of perspectives
outside their personal areas of interest.)  For copies of the
announcement of this preparatory meeting, see

English: http://siug.ch/internet-community-09-en.html
German:  http://siug.ch/internet-community-09-de.html

Greeting,
Norbert

--
http://siug.ch/
Swiss Internet User Group (SIUG), eine Initiative der /ch/open