Guy Baconniere wrote:

> When the query reaches the DNS of the ISP it will reply with a DNS TCP
> reply if minimal-responses is no (default on Bind9) or with a small
> UDP DSN reply if minimal-responses is yes.

I can't quite see how that would be correct.  When a resolver issues a
query with UDP, it will expect a reply (minimal or not) via UDP.  Only
if it does not get a useful answer via UDP will it change and try a TCP
query.

> I recommend that all ISP use minimal-responses yes or equivalent on
> their DNS server. This will save bandwidth and avoid DNS TCP reply to
> be blocked in a Firewall in the path.

When the client has issued a TCP query, any half-way decent firewall
will know not to block the reply.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Herrliberg (19.8°C)