On 2018-07-02 09:45, Benoit Panizzon wrote:
[..]

> Also, such domains usually quite quickly get a bad reputation as hiding
> the whois data is something the 'bad guys' do. Also it becomes a bit
> more difficult, to verify if a domain is legit or not to decide upon
> well crafted phishing emails. Or to contact the owner in case of
> security incidents.

Bad guys just provide false data (and the privacy hiding things)

Hence, whois is mostly useless, even though that false data might be
able to correlate multiple domains (which is a feature that is lost now)

As RIPE is clearly demonstrating though, throwaway addresses and emails
are totally okay to have in RIPE whois....

Currently "good guys" will publish one of these:
 https://<domain>/.well-known/security.txt

e.g.:
 https://www.google.com/.well-known/security.txt
 https://unfix.org/.well-known/security.txt
etc.

as per the _draft_:
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-foudil-securitytxt-03
 https://github.com/securitytxt/security-txt
and (as usual)not everybody is happy with it:
 https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15416198

Many folks also publish it directly as /security.txt; I have a default
location in nginx to cover them and put it everywhere (with try_files
one can try to per-vhost edition and then fall back to a generic one).

.oO(Yes, the Internet is HTTPS now, everything else is futile...
    new Internet users on the block do not know what whois is, let
    alone what it was useful for; problem reports are automated
    nowadays, few still actually read/act upon abuse@ or security@
    addresses...)

[..]
> So I asked Gandi for how the GDPR exactly forces them to hide their
> customer's whois data. I haven't got a reply to this yet.

Nothing forces them to do so, they are just covering their behinds.

By blocking it they do not have to deal too much with GDPR, thus it is
the path of least difficulty (read: money).

[..]
> If I get the whois data for some well known domains like:
>
> microsoft.com
> google.com
> swiss.com
> credit-suisse.com