Hey Tobi

Not seeing what you are seeing, but I can really recommend Fail2Ban if you are
not using it already.

It's as simple as:

*** snip 8< ***

# Install fail2ban
apt install fail2ban

# Set log level to VERBOSE in sshd daemon to catch failed logins for existing
accounts as well
cat >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config <<EOF

LogLevel VERBOSE
EOF

systemctl restart sshd

*** >8 snap ***

Failed attempts will now be logged and source IPs will be banned after several
failed attempts.

Cheers,
Manuel

--