So what I suspect happened is this

On 2/18/20 1:51 AM, Andreas Fink wrote:
> 2. The single IP address in the report is not in my network (I used to
> have that IP range in the past but I sold it in 2016. So long long ago. )

it might still be registred to you via shadowservers.org OR another org
like this

> 3. The abuse email they sent the report to is not in the whois of that
> network.
it might be becuase it shows it to belong to you via shadowservers.org
instead.
> 4. The DNS name used in the report is not the reverse PTR of that IP.
> Nor does the forward DNS point to that IP.
> 5. The DNS name points to a host in my network but that host is
> definitively not a IoT device which has any kind of default password.
> Its a solid Linux machine with a up to date distribution with 2
> usernames only on it with very secure passwords and only one specific
> application running which doesn't talk to outside my network at all.
> If that machine would have gotten hacked, it would surprise me very
> much. At least I have found nothing unusual on that IP. No unexpected
> network activity, CPU load, processes etc.

it looks to me like there is something going wrong with
shadowservers.org and any other report like this. seems they just
forwarded it without fact checking, which, is kinda not their job either
(would swamp them massively I guess)

so yeah, guess you'd have to ask which source the report came from?