Switzerland (as far as I know) does not have the equivalent of the
UK's RIP act.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this law makes
anyone in possession of encrypted material responsible for providing
it in cleartext format.  Silly, no?

Without going into the deeper implications, it would be technically
feasible to allow public key-encrypted mail storage for users.  You
could do it via x.509 certs or something--allow the user to access
their key via for example an ssl/tls web gui and use it to decrypt their
mails or just plain download them via pop3/whatever.

It wouldn't make it impossible for a provider to scan actual mail
traffic if the police required it for whatever reason, but it would free
you from the onus of having to provide access to the users' actual
mail contents while it's stored on one of your servers.

Just a thought,

-John

Daniel Lorch wrote:

hi,

Mail storage encryption. "Added value". Your sales
monkeys will love you.

Yeah, I was thinking about such Value Added Services like "Searchable Mail
Archive" or "All your Mails on CD-ROM".

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/