I've written a patch to qmail's dns lookup routines to detect the
wildcard responses from Verisign and convert it internally back into
a NX_DOMAIN. I think the same dynamic strategy can also be used for
Postfix and Sendwhale.

-- read on here --

With Verisigns wildcard match for any unregistered domains they broke
the DNS in many ways. One is that return MX checks won't work anymore
and if someone mistypes a mail recipients domain the message will end
up on Versigns dummy server. Today it is rejecting that stuff, but for
how long given their track record? I bet they'll use it soon to grab
mail froms for their spam list.

We've written a patch to fix detect a TLD wildcard match and convert
it into an NX_DOMAIN (domain not existent) as it should be.

You can find the patch here:

 http://www.nrg4u.com

How does it work?

 Since it is not possible to directly detect whether we get a faked
 wildcard response, we first do a "*.tld" lookup (tld is dynamic from
 the lookup domain). If we get a response for that, remember its IP
 address. Now we proceed to the true and full MX/IP lookup. Then we
 check if one of the IP addresses we get this time is the same as the
 one we remembered from the wildcard lookup. If yes, we have been
 tricked and skip over it. If it was the only one, well, then it's in
 reality a non-existent domain.

 The advantage of this way of doing it (instead of statically blocking
 Versigns IP address) is of course that it adjusts itself dynamically
 when Verisign changes it's setup. In one of their papers Verisign
 cites some other TLDs who do the same. We kill them too.

 The disadvantage is that we always do one more DNS lookup for "*.tld".

--
Andre
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive: