Double would be a little too much... since not everybody really uses his full
bandwidth, the impact on the backbone will probably be between below 30% of
traffic increase. It always depends on your customer structure - if you have
many Kazaa/eDonkey/etc. users, they'll use the full bandwidth all the time.
If you have many business-customers, which only use mail and web, the
bandwidth increase is not relevant...

But if your backbone is near the max (let's say, you have a 10 Mbps uplink to
your upstream-provider and you already use 7 Mbps), then you'll have to think
about an upgrade soon...

Cheers,
Viktor

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 09:50, Stefan Buetler wrote:
> hello
>
> how do you big providers handle this. we're just a small
> webservice & mailservice provider with no adsl. do you
> double your backbone speed? just curious...
>
> cheers stef
>
> Roger Buchwalder wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > did somebody got news about the reaction of the swisscom regarding speed?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Rog
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/