Hi Stanislav,

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 20:10, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

> > If you need OSS, you can easily packages from http://www.blastwave.org/
> > . We have a nice pkg-get tool, which works similar like apt-get on
> > Debian. Most of the software was compiled with Sun Studio 8.
>
> This is impressive. Thanks a lot for the hint. I expect it to be much
> more handy than sunfreeware.com which I'm used to for long time.

sunfreeware has horrible packages. They don't have any optimized
binaries for sparcv8, sparcv8-vis or for sparcv9.

On our newpkgs list, we inform every Monday about package updates or new
packages. --> lists.blastwave.org

> Unfortunately, the site doesn't explicitly say which packages are compiled
> with Sun Studio, and which are from GCC.

Only a few packages are compiled with gcc. They depend on gcc2rt, gcc3rt
or they havb _gcc in their name.

> The Gnu compiler was long time known for suboptimal binaries for SPARC
> architecture, and they seem to improve during past year or so.
> Do you have any more details on that?

It's little bit better (with gcc 3.x), but MySQL will still run about
20% faster, if it's compiled with Sun Studio.

Regards, Ihsan...

--
Sun Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
Sun Support Services