Also didn't Marconi's first trans-atlantic transmission originate from Canada?
---------- Original Message ----------
From: Sheldon Harvey <ve2...@yahoo.com>
To: Discussion list for the Winter SWL Fest <swlfest@hard-core-dx.com>
Subject: Re: [Swlfest] CKZN Labrador off air - should we care?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:32:16 +0000 (UTC)

Ironic timing on this, as it comes close to the 5-year anniversary of Radio
Canada International's disappearance from shortwave.  Perhaps the pitch that
people could make who want to send along a comment about this, particularly
Canadians, would be to focus on the disappearance of Canada from the
international radio bands. After all, Canada is the place where radio got
started. The first experimental radio station XWA in Montreal; Reginald
Fessenden's first voice broadcast using radio; Newfoundland's Signal Hill, etc.
 Canada has a rich history in radio. Now Canada is nothing more than a fading
memory on the international radio bands. It bothers me every time I receive the
latest Glenn Hauser DX Listening Digest report and I immediately go through the
alphabetical listing to "C", to see if there just might be any radio news from
Canada.  It's sad to see just the occasional mentions of CHU Time signal
station, or Canadian weather or military transmissions.  But, even more
disturbing is to see items like this about CKZN or the recent closure of the
CBC West Coast shortwave transmitter. Why not now on the 150th anniversary of
Canada, to voice our concern and displeasure with the practical elimination of
Canada from the international broadcasting scene.  Let's try to hold on to one
last piece of a shortwave voice from Canada by at least making sure that
something like CKZN is still there.   Sheldon HarveyRadio
H.F.http://www.radiohf.ca

Enjoy birds and birdwatching?http://www.birdprotectionquebec.org   On Friday,
June 30, 2017, 8:33:12 AM GMT-4, Richard Cuff <rdc...@gmail.com> wrote:  Glenn
Hauser posted this item below, and I spotted it in an ODXA post. Looks like the
CBC is using an approach that Australia's ABC used forRadio Australia -- switch
a transmitter off air temporarily and see ifanyone notices. I know I would miss
them -- they frankly have been an enjoyablecompanion especially when I'm away
from home and unable to connect tothe Internet via wifi, and especially when
I've been DXpeditioning--after all, there's not much palatable English language
programmingon air -- so I will be sending them a note. Not sure how important
they consider a disaffected listener to CBCGoose Bay in Pennsylvania but,
perhaps we can collectively impressthat shortwave usage enables broadcasters to
reach and impactaudiences beyond typical borders. Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA
USA --- ** NEWFOUNDLAND. 6160-, June 30 at 0214 check, CKZN is still AWOL,
andnow we finally know why. Here`s my Q&A inquiry thread to CBC NL: Shortwave