I have a guilty conscience,  of a sort.

Back around the time that CBC was starting on plans to dismantle the Sackville
SW site,   I was going to write a letter to the PM and Opposition Leader
stating the obvious reasons that shortwave and international broadcasting was
critical --

1)  It’s very difficult to block radio signals.    After all,   radio signals
do not respect borders.    This works to the advantage of anyone that has a
message that they want to reach a certain audience.  Unlike the Internet – a
government cannot easily and selectively block an “IP address”       Somehow
the signal’s going to get through.

2) No wire is needed to receive a radio broadcast.    A simple ten buck radio
with shortwave capability ,   or even medium wave capability (in some corners
of the world) can receive these signals.

3) MOST OF ALL – there is no way a sinister authority can detect WHO is
listening,   when it’s a radio signal.    The Internet?   IP addresses
connected to a particular website?   You see what I’m saying.   No one knows
WHO’S listening in.

Historically – if you consider the VOA,  BBC,  CBC,  etc.  to be “the good
guys” – we have used our capability to get our message across to those in
countries where,  some would prefer that the message may not go through.    We
used that during the Second World War – and even had messages to the French
underground.    Reference the movie “The Longest Day”.

But Germans also listened to the BBC and VOA – and Americans and British,
conversely,   heard Axis Sally,  Lord Haw Haw,  and various women identified
collectively as Tokyo Rose.

During the Cold War,  statements and treatises went BOTH ways.   And important
cultural exchanges as well.

Why do I feel guilty?   I never mailed the letter.

Greg