As Arnie Coro explained to me, a prerequisite for his coming to speak at the SWLFest is his receiving a formal letter of invitation from a bona fide organization in the U.S. inviting him to a speaking engagement. In other words, he'd need formal letter of invitation from an 'Organizational Sponsor' that meets with the approval of his employer--the Cuban government.

Separately, I was told that NASWA would not provide a formal letter of invitation offering to be Arnie's Organizational Sponsor. I don't know what criteria the Cuban government uses to determine acceptability of an Organizational Sponsor (it's probably subjective) or if NASWA would've met those criteria anyway.

As I mentioned earlier, my most recent attempt to find a Organizational Sponsor was with the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communication, which seemed likely to meet with the approval of the Cuban Government because its academic reputation would complement Mr. Coro's history as a Professor of Broadcasting at the University of Havana. So it seemed like a good match to have Arnie scheduled to speak there the same week as the SWLFest, and tangentially he could be brought to nearby Plymouth Meeting to informally meet up with some old radio friends ;-)

After some back-and-forth inquiries and negotiation through my contact, a tenured Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, a sticking point of an apparently geopolitical nature arose--not from my contact, but from Penn administration bureaucrats. Subsequently, my Penn contact left to teach at another university.

If anyone knows a faculty member or administration staffer at a university in the greater Philadelphia region who'd be willing and able to lobby their institution to be an Organizational Sponsor for Arnie Coro to speak there on the same week as a forthcoming SWLFest, and write a formal letter of invitation to Arnie Coro for his government to review, and if it seems that Institution would likely meet with the approval of the Cuban government, please let me know and I'll provide more details on how I this can be made to work. For years I've been asking around about a suitable local Organizational Sponsor, and nobody has offered a realistic proposal. You'd think this would be easier, but for a number of frustrating reasons it's not.

The financial resources needed to pay for Arnie's travel expenses to the SWLFest are available, notwithstanding fickle U.S. foreign policy complicating both travel and the legal transfer of funds to Cuba for that purpose. Perhaps in 2021 the geopolitical winds of change will blow in a more progressive direction. The goal to bring Arnie Coro to speak at the SWLFest has long been a moving target.

As for this year's virtual SWLFest, Sheldon Harvey noted below that Arnie recently told him the Cuban government does not allow access to Zoom meetings--the specific medium chosen for this year's SWLFest. So any suggestion that Arnie could call into one of Zoom's telephone numbers to access the 'phone' channel of the SWLFest Zoom meeting seems unworkable, as that would still constitute access to a Zoom meeting which is disallowed in Cuba.

-Ed