From: Ed Cummings <bern...@panix.com>
To: Discussion list for the Winter SWL Fest <swlfest@hard-core-dx.com>
Subject: Re: [Swlfest] Why Reviving Shortwave is a Non-Starter - Radio World
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 22:22:29 -0400

Tom, thanks for sharing this article by two folks we know in our SWLfest
community.

 The dearth of shortwave broadcasts to shortwave receivers seems like a
chicken-or-egg problem to me. If there was a good selection of good content
broadcast on shortwave around the world (like there used to be) then more
people would get shortwave radios to hear it (like they used to do before the
content dried up due to most governments deciding the internet was the shiny
new way to reach their target audiences around the globe.)

 This is a problem that DRM has been running into.  Without content, there's no
market to consume it, and there's no market for HF/MW/FM DRM receivers, and no
financial incentive for their manufacture.  HF DRM transmitters and exciters
are readily available from Nautel and others, and HF DRM receiver manufacturers
have ready-to-go designs and production facilities to make lots of radios for
anyone who comes to them with a check.

 If just some of the tens of millions of U.S. taxpayer Dollars being squandered
on some USAGM contractors were instead spent on 'seed money' for the production
of DRM broadcasts and hundreds of thousands of low-cost portable HF/MW/FM DRM
receivers for free distribution in target audience areas, that might jump-start
HF DRM, which has impressive potential for conveying digital information around
the world without all-too-easy internet censorship.  Somebody has to take the
lead on this.

 I'd rather see a tiny fraction of my tax dollars spent on such an initiative
than on even a small fraction of the many Billions spent on waste, fraud, and
abuse...

 Does anyone agree with me on this?

 -Ed