Hi guys,

I thought I had the spec all figured out and logged a ticket against our new
implementation of V2 in Connexions when we were disallowing POST multipart
to the SE-IRI and allowing it on EM-IRI. That seemed opposite of my
understanding. For PUT, the case is exactly reversed. Mulitpart is supported
on SE-IRI and NOT on EM-IRI. The logic as I understand it would be that you
can only explicitly change the metadata using the SE-IRI because the
metadata applies to the container as a whole.

But then we looked back at the SWORD V2 spec and saw that it said that POST
of metadata and contents should use the EM-IRI. At first I thought this was
a mere typographical error because the example given just below shows POST
SE-IRI HTTP/1.1. But the spec has a line suggesting that it might have been
intentional and the example might be the typo. See relevant excerpts below.

*6.5.3 specifies PUT Multipart to SE-IRI:*  Section
6.5.3<http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/trunk/SWORDProfile.html?revision=HEAD#protocoloperations_editingcontent_multipart>,
that states "The client can *replace both the metadata and content *of a
resource by performing an HTTP PUT on the *Edit-IRI* with a multipart mime
message, as per Section 6.3.2. Creating a Resource with a Multipart
Deposit<http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/trunk/SWORDProfile.html?revision=HEAD#protocoloperations_creatingresource_multipart>
.

*6.5.3 specifies POST Multipart to EM-IRI:*

   - In Section
6.7.3<http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/trunk/SWORDProfile.html?revision=HEAD#protocoloperations_addingcontent>,
   it says "The client can *add new content and update the metadata* attached
   to a resource by issuing an HTTP POST of an Atom Multipart
[AtomMultipart<http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/trunk/SWORDProfile.html?revision=HEAD#atommultipart>]
   document to the *EM-IRI*."
   - Further it has this puzzling (to me) line. "This operation is analagous
   to Section
6.3.2.<http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/trunk/SWORDProfile.html?revision=HEAD#protocoloperations_creatingresource_multipart>except
   that the target IRI is the *EM-IRI* as the container already exists and
   may already contain content and metadata." Section 6.3.2 refers to the
   Col-IRI, which gives me hope that this use of EM-IRI is still just a
   typographical error, which would leave my understanding in tact.
   - The example uses SE-IRI, however.
   POST SE-IRI HTTP/1.1 Host: example.org Authorization: Basic
   ZGFmZnk6c2VjZXJldA== Content-Length: [content length] Content-Type:
   multipart/related; boundary="===============1605871705==";
   type="application/atom+xml"

Anyone care to way in? Either way, something needs a tweak in the spec --
either the wording or the example.

Cheers,
Kathi

--