Yes, as Robin and Richard point out. You can create your own
crosswalks/packagers.  Hypothetically one could try to enable the AIP
Packager through SWORD. You could then expose the AIP via interface and
write tools against the full set of metadata.  However it sounds like Ying
is attempting something that is a one time transfer of all content from
DSpace to Fedora/Islandora.  I'd recommend focusing on getting everything
out of DSpace into a file system, then massaging it into the state needed
for import into Fedora. Using SWORD itself for this is not necessarily of
great importance. Though, in the future, enabling such round-tripping for
other migration cases would be of benefit to the community.  This is where
the mapping Ying ultimately does may be of interest.

A tangent... I was just thinking about this over my morning coffee...
SWORDv2 does describe an atomic process for putting and getting individual
media resources in its specification.

http://sword-app.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sword-app/spec/tags/sword-2.0/SWORDProfile.html?revision=377#protocoloperations_retrievingcontent_feed

This could represent the basic API layer for a DSpace storage service to be
bound to any SWORDv2 (possibly any APP service) as its store.  I this
regard, Richards point about getting SWORDv2 services for Fedora worked out
would be a great benefit to the whole DSpace/Fedora initiative.

Cheers,
Mark

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012, Robin Taylor wrote:

> Just to expand a little - I think the default metadata schema when
> creating a Mets package from DSpace is Mods. In theory if the Fedora
> Sword Server claims to accept Mets packages conforming to the DSpace
> Mets SIP Profile
> (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpaceMETSSIPProfile) it
> should be able to deal with the incoming Mods metadata, in practice it
> may expect the metadata to conform to SWAP
> (
> http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/Eprints_Application_Profile
> ).
> DSpace does allow you to specify the crosswalk for a metadata schema
> when creating the Mets package, so you could change it to create SWAP
> compliant metadata. However, as Mark points out, the existing SWAP
> crosswalk is fairly skeletal. You do have the option of expanding that
> crosswalk or adding a new one if none of the existing crosswalks meet
> your needs.
>
> Cheers, Robin.
>

> On 27/03/12 21:22, Ying Jin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on our DSpace repository and trying to migrate items from
> > DSpace to Fedora (we are going to use Islandora). It looks like SWORD
> > might be a good approach. Here is the question from my testing
> > migration -
> >
> > I exported an item using DSpace packager in METS format, and then use
> > Fedora Sword module to import the item to Fedora.
> >
> > First, I used METSDSpaceSIP packaging, and the ingested item shows a
> > zip file only.
> > Then I tried METS packaging and only content files are uploaded.
> > Obviously, it can't understand dspace mets.
> >
> > I think METSDSpaceSIP packaging is the right way to go but it doesn't
> > seem to work properly. Is there anything I may need to setup for
> > having this work?
> >
> > Thanks any suggestions and helps,
> > Ying

> > CDS@Rice University

> --

[image: @mire Inc.]
*Mark Diggory *(Schedule a
Meeting<https://www.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UUdDSzJzTTlOUE1mfGRlZmF1bHR8MzgwMmEwYjk1NDc1NDQ1MGI0NWViYjYzZjExZDI3Mzg>
)
*2888 Loker Avenue East, Suite 305, Carlsbad, CA. 92010*
*Esperantolaan 4, Heverlee 3001, Belgium*
http://www.atmire.com