Hi Richard,

----- Original Message -----

[...]

> Some caution required with these definitions: SWORD is not a
> container
> format, it's a transport protocol, most principally defined by its
> protocol operations (Section 6 in the spec).  SWORD is more
> interested
> in the process of data exchange (what it means to create, to update,
> to delete), while BagIt is more focussed on the format of data
> exchange (albeit in a relatively loose way).

Sorry, thanks for calling me on that, I was oversimplifying to keep my
paragraphs short.

[...]

> https://bitbucket.org/richardjones/sword-packagers
>
> I would like to migrate these to the swordapp project on github, and
> restructure the project so that it would be easy for others to
> contrib
> their own packager plugins.  Probably each plugin would be its own
> maven project, and they could be included as modules in an overall
> "sword packagers" maven module.  Open to other suggestions though.

This looks interesting and useful, and a good way to add more package formats
to Java applications. Would you welcome plugins in other languages that might
integrate easily with SWORD client and servers not written in Java (I'm
thinking of python, for example)?

> By doing something practical, rather than working on a more abstract
> package registry, we might learn enough about the problem space and
> the package formats which are in common usage to bootstrap a package
> registry off of it (or maybe we won't even need to).

Agreed, in my attempt to understand I described what is basically an abstract
package registry. I still think such a thing would be very useful but I
acknowledge what you say about concerted effort. I also agree that gaining
experience with a few commonly used package formats is a useful approach, and
I'd be happy to contribute to that body of knowledge. I suppose that
implementing simple use cases in my own environment and share the results is
the best way to start that.

Mark