---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Jones <rich...@oneoverzero.com>
Date: 20 January 2011 02:04
Subject: Re: Key Changes and Justifications
To: rsander...@lanl.gov
Cc: techadvisorypa...@swordapp.org

Hi Rob,

> * URIs used in Statements.
>
> Could you either unpack this section a little, or give an example?  When
> reading in conjunction with the previous document, it seems that you're
> reusing identifiers incorrectly.
>
> I'm happy that the Edit-URI (URI of Atom Entry) is the Resource Map URI.
> This is as per the ORE/ATOM spec (
> http://www.openarchives.org/ore/1.0/atom ) and should be in
> /entry/link[@rel=self] in the entry document.
>
> I'm less convinced that you can reuse EM-URI as the URI of the
> aggregation.  EM-URI (and "almost always" Cont-URI) isn't a non
> information resource that represents the set of aggregated resources.
>>
>> From Cont-URI you can "retrieve representations of the object as it
>
> resides in the SWORD server", making it a negotiable information resource?
>
> My understanding is that EM-URI / Cont-URI is the value of
> link[@rel="edit-media"] and Edit-URI is the value of link[@rel="edit"]?
> In RFC 5023, section 11, I think that the distinction is pretty clear that
> edit is to modify the entry (as you have) and edit-media is to modify an
> associated media resource (the actual content).  Thus the re-use of it as
> the Aggregation URI seems very strange.
>
> The practical requirements for the URI of the aggregation are that it
> return a 303 status in response to a GET request, and a Content-Location
> of a Resource Map.  In the default SWORD case this would only be the Atom
> Entry document, but that's perfectly acceptable as ConNeg could be used to
> get RDF serializations.
>
> Basically, I think you need a new URI here.

Attached is a mock up of how I originally thought we would do this,
which is basically the original SWORD deposit receipt, but with a
resource map embedded into it (using the Edit-URI and EM-URI as the
REM-URI and Agg-URI respectively) as RDF/XML foreign markup.

I'm now starting to question this a little more.

For a start, I should have re-checked the ORE spec to make sure that
these URIs were used right - in some way we definitely need a new URI
for the aggregation as you suggest.

I was also just taking a look at the Atom serialisation for ORE and am
wondering whether the Deposit Receipt has to be a resource map as
described here, or whether my current approach of embedding the
RDF/XML resource map as foreign markup in the Deposit Receipt is ok.
The thing with the Atom serialisation of a Resource Map is that it is
/really/ verbose, and not so straightforward to read from the
perspective of someone familiar with RDF/XML but not with ORE.

Cheers,

Richard
<entry xmlns:sword="http://purl.org/net/sword/"; xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";>
  <title>SWORD Deposit</title>
  <id>tag:container@sss/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef</id>
  <updated>2011-01-11T21:58:39Z</updated>
  <author>
    <name>SWORD Client</name>
  </author>
  <summary type="text">Conten deposited with SWORD client</summary>
  <generator uri="http://www.swordapp.org/sss"; version="1.0"/>
  <content type="application/zip" src="http://localhost:8080/cont-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef"/>
  <sword:treatment>Treatment description</sword:treatment>
  <sword:package>http://purl.org/net/sword/package/default</sword:package>
  <link rel="edit" href="http://localhost:8080/edit-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef"/>
  <link rel="edit-media" href="http://localhost:8080/em-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef"/>
  <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"; xmlns:ore="http://www.openarchives.org/ore/terms/";>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://localhost:8080/edit-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef";>
      <ore:describes rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/cont-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef"/>
    </rdf:Description>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://localhost:8080/cont-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef";>
      <ore:isDescribedBy rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/edit-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef"/>
      <ore:aggregates rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/part-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef/example.zip"/>
      <sword:originalDeposit rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/part-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef/example.zip"/>
      <sword:state rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/sword/state/archived"/>
    </rdf:Description>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://localhost:8080/part-uri/584511c0-50bb-4fb0-ac16-390b174cadfb/e8720629-1721-460d-adb1-acd7ee2895ef/example.zip";>
      <sword:packaging rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/sword/package/default"/>
      <sword:depositedOn rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime";>2011-01-11T21:58:39Z</sword:depositedOn>
      <sword:depositedBy rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";>sword</sword:depositedBy>
    </rdf:Description>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://purl.org/net/sword/state/archived";>
      <sword:stateDescription>The work has passed through review and is now in the archive</sword:stateDescription>
    </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>
</entry>