Richard Jones wrote:
> I've spent the last 3 or 4 days looking at the Media Feature stuff in
> detail, and I have to confess it does feel like a sledgehammer to crack
> a nut.  At the moment I'm playing with specifying restricted version of
> it to see if we can get the effect that we want without the huge
> overhead of a full implementation.

I'm inclined to agree about the sledge hammer and nut part.  This is why I
suggested limiting the media feature expression to a more restricted form that
is easier to process and match.

The advantage  of such an approach is that it can use existing specifications
rather than invent new ones.  Also, it exploits an existing IANA registry,
allowing an easier path for possible future enhancements rather than forcing
discussion back to square one.  I don't believe the additional parsing effort is
significant in the scheme of things - I think a regex could do it for a
restricted form.  It's the feature matching that has the potential to get
complicated.

My suggestion is that the benefits of using existing specs. (with restrictions)
can outweigh the near-term complexities of adopting a more general solution.
Given the relatively limited number of likely implementations for SWORD
(compared with more mainstream IETF standards), I think the effort of doing the
standardization work (in whatever forum) will dwarf the implementation effort.

#g