A fairly large commit to InstallMgr has just hit SVN. Here is a brief summary.

InstallMgr can now be constructed with a username and password which will be used when logging into the remote source. May I suggest that frontend developers supply their own unique anon password instead of the longstanding default: install...@user.com. For example: install...@macsword.com.

A remote source can now be constructed to supply a real username and password in the .conf file. This will allow us to use non-anon ftp sites for remote repositories. This will obviously override any global anon u/p supplied in the c-tor of InstallMgr discussed above.

We have always asked frontend developers to warn users before enabling remote install features. This is now pseudo-enforced in the API by not enabling any remote methods before a call to:

InstallMgr::setUserDisclaimerConfirmed(true);

Obviously this is not intended to really enforce anything, but rather safeguard against a codepath which might accidentally call a remote method before informing the user and letting them choose. Also to solidify our policy in code somehow so future frontend developers will know what is expected. A suggested disclaimer is included in the comments for this method in the header file.

There is now a new method which will allow syncing of a local repository configuration list (InstallMgr.conf) with a master remote source which we will keep at CrossWire and in which we will maintain a list of all know sources for SWORD modules. The method call is:

InstallMgr::refreshRemoteSourceConfiguration();

It's use can be seen in the command line tool:

sword/utilities/installmgr.cpp

with the command line option -sc. You can see your repository configurations before and after with the usual -s option.

./installmgr -s
./installmgr -sc
./installmgr -s

The actions we can supply in our master list which are currently supported by this new feature are:
adding new repos
removing repos
modifying repos
leaving manually added user repos untouched

Please have a go at it and report any positive or adverse findings.

With these new features we'd like to support the emergence of a new 3rd party user module repository site: swordmodules.org While CrossWire's repositories continue to host best practice markup with fully supported modules, we want to encourage the 3rd party distribution of as much quality content as possible.

I hope these new features are useful and actually work! :) May God continue to bless our work as we share together to serve Him.

        -Troy.