I suspect Greg is correct that Diatheke isn't finding your Sword module path. But you might also simply try running 'diatheke' (no arguments). If it prints the help text, you've at least got a working binary. If it fails to print anything at all, there's a problem with the binary, the Sword DLL, linking, or similar. It should really throw up an error dialog in that case, but I've admittedly never tried the utilities on Win 8 or 8.1.

--Chris