On 09.04.2018 08:08, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> On 2018-04-08, 16:52 GMT, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
>> Sword++ development. This is meant to be an unofficial
>> read-only mirror, so please don't submit pull requests. If
>> there are any problems with that mirror, please contact me.
>
> Oh well, I have already my own git-svn mirror at
> https://gitlab.com/mcepl/sword (and I believe, better than
> yours, tags are tags, and I have found all authors and gave them
> proper names). So, I'll keep my git-send-email configuration
> up-to-date.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone can use any mirror they want to. :) Your
mirror might be best for your specific use case, but in reply I'd still
like to point out the following:

First, technically there is no difference between branches and tags in
Subversion [1]. So the tags are not actually tags in SVN in the sense of
snapshots, but actually work exactly like branches. Keeping these as git
tags in git mirrors is a matter of preference, but it might not work
well if these "tags" are ever (accidentally?) updated in SVN.

Secondly, your mirror seems to missing some empty directories (the
BibleTime mirror handles these using the `clone --preserve-empty-dirs`
workaround documented in `git help svn`):

  bindings/corba/java/classes
  bindings/objc/SWORD/Release-universal
  bindings/objc/SWORD/build
  bindings/swig/package/attic
  tests/testsuite/tmp

Thirdly, your mirror is missing the rest of the branches which are
present in SVN, the "trunk" branch seems to have been renamed to
"master" and there's also an extra branch named "czech-locale".

Finally, since the commit authorship information in your repository
seems to have been rewritten, the mirroring is, strictly speaking, not
that exact. Additionally, if your mirror is synchronized with SVN
automatically, I doubt the automation can properly rewrite authorship
information if new users commit to the SVN repository.

Concerning preservation of authorship information in Sword++ [2], which
is based on the [3] mirror, we've opted to use a .mailmap file (git help
shortlog) instead of rewriting history. I think that updating that file
poses less problems than rewriting history in a mirror. So the BibleTime
mirror works well for us.

Best regards,

[1]
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.tags.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mksimple