That's a debate that goes far beyond the scope of the current discussion,
but to be honest I don't understand why USX even exists ^^'

USFM favours easy editing of the files with its simple text tags.
It makes perfect sense for editing bibles, in particular in translation
software.

OSIS favours accurate semantic description of the document structure (with
nested elements and such), making use of the full power of XSD.
It makes perfect sense for published document representation, and for
software that cares about searching and rendering.

USX takes the worst of both worlds : it takes all the heaviness of XML,
while using it to render flat sequences like USFM does. It's basically
"USFM, but heavier". I see no gain compared to USFM, except potentially the
fact that escaping of special characters is made easier (because handled
natively by the XML parser). That's not a whole lot to justify a brand new
format.

My personal conclusion after this exchange would simply be "Great, if
nobody else currently cares, we can take full ownership of OSIS, let's do
it ! " :-D