Excerpts from Paul Ivanov's message of Tue Dec 23 16:24:34 -0800 2008:

There's no import.py as of yet, as far as I know.  Making it wouldn't be
difficult, but I'm not sure it'd have much utility now: database dump / import
is generally the way to go and the export.py stuff
(http://www.projectsycamore.org/Export) was thrown together for folks on Wiki
Spot who wanted dumps of their wikis (e.g. might need to only be the globally
visable pages).

I use pg_dump for postgres with --format=c

sudo -u postgres pg_dump --format=c wikispot
--file=/srv/sql/postgresql/wikispot.db.out

is the command I usually do.  The format=c means you'll need to use pg_restore
to import the dump, but it's compressed.

The images shouldn't be borked on a dump - definitely sounds like an encoding
issue.

If you're using sqlite it's insanely simple: just copy the single database file
(woo sqlite).  share/data/wiki.db is the file.

--philip