Theatre
101

University
of
Sydney,
Camperdown
Campus

Abstract

The transition from myth to reason, muthos to logos, marks the birth of
philosophy. Much has been written about this “miracle.” But how did the
proponents of myth respond? They fought back with mutho-logia, that is, with a
logos about myth. This “rational” approach invoked the same logos as that
associated with philosophia. In fact, philosophia and mythologia were at times
so intimately connected that it was difficult to distinguish between them. This
is due to the “spell” of myth, particularly Greek/Homeric myth, or to be more
precise, because of the allegorical interpretation of Homeric myth. The
practice of allegorical interpretation preserved the notion that the “first”
poets were divinely inspired men with access to “divine” secrets about the
universe.

In this lecture, I will begin with Homer and Hesiod, turn to the origin of
philosophy, move on to the first quarrel between philosophy and poetry, and
then review the birth of the practice of allegorical interpretation. I will
give an overview of the role allegory played in the philosophic, religious, and
even scientific traditions from this period to at least the Enlightenment. I
will also endeavour to show how believers practiced allegorical interpretation
in relation to the Torah, the Christian Bible, and later the Qur’an. In doing
so, I will show, that, although there has always been a struggle between the
literal and allegorical interpretations of sacred texts, the practitioners of
allegory commonly viewed both religious and philosophical texts as emanating
from the same divine source — that is, as inspired by God. I will end with some
reflections on the interpretative clashes between competitive “inspired” texts.
Professor Naddaf will also be giving a seminar paper at the Inspired Voices
Research Cluster Seminar series on Nov. 10, 3.30-4.30 at the Centre for
Classical and Near Eastern Studies of Australia (CCANESA) in the Madsen
Building at the University of Sydney. Seating is limited. If interested in
attending the seminar contact rick.beni...@sydney.edu.au