The Philosophy Department wishes to announce that Gregory Flaxman (UNC) will
give a talk titled ³We Are All Autochthons²: Deleuze and The Abstract Line
of Democracy²
today at 3.30pm in the Refectory, Main Quad, USYD.
Abstract:
For all its pretensions to materialism, Gilles Deleuze's concept of
geophilosophy is liable to inspire empty abstractions, silly
personifications, or simple ridicule if we don't literally consider the
relationship between thinking and the Earth. In response to such a
challenge, this talk returns to the Athenian conceit of autochthony, the
myth of being born from the earth, in order to cash out the material and
mental contingencies of this relationship. Far from offering abstract
coordinates or conditions of possibility, then, I argue that geophilosophy
refers to the geographic vagaries of the Greek world, where and when the
space (topos) of the city induces a philosophical milieu (topos noetos).
Finally, the talk concludes by suggesting that Deleuze¹s concept of
democracy, no less his political philosophy, is ³born of the earth.²

Gregory Flaxman in an associate professor in the Department of English and
Comparative Literature at the University of North Carolina. The editor of
The Brain is the Screen (Minnesota, 2000), he is the author of Gilles
Deleuze and the Fabulation of Philosophy: Powers of the False, Vol. 1 (due
out next month, also from Minnesota). Currently, he is currently working
with Lisa Trahair and Robert Sinnerbrink  on a book about cinematic
thinking.

All welcome!

David

Dr. David Macarthur