[cid:image001.jpg@01D212AF.FB3F4490]Dennis Schmidt: What Do We Owe the Dead?

Professor Schmidt will examine some of the most penetrating literary,
philosophical, and artistic presentations of this ethical sense of what we owe
the dead, and to ask what the ethical sensibility might mean and what sort of
conclusions we can draw from it.

Dennis Schmidt is Research Professor of Philosophy at Western Sydney
University. He is the author of numerous books, including Between Word and
Image: Heidegger, Gadamer, and Klee (2016), Idiome der Wahrheit (2012), Lyrical
and Ethical Subjects (2005), and On Germans and Other Greeks (2001).

The respondent will be David Malouf, the acclaimed author of many novels
including Ransom, The Great World (winner of the Commonwealth Writers’ prize

and the Prix Femina Etranger), and Remembering Babylon (winner of the IMPAC
Dublin Literary Award).

Thursday 22nd September, 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM

Metcalfe Auditorium, Macquarie Building, State Library of New South Wales

Adults $15, Friends and Concessions $10.

*Booking essential: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/whats-on

Further Information: http://sydneyseminar.net/artphil/

- - - - - - - - -
Dimitris Vardoulakis
Western Sydney University
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
Bankstown Campus, 7.G.10
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith, NSW 2751
AUSTRALIA

tel: +61 2 9772 6808
www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: