Not enough sex on the bench? The neglected problem of bias and bench testing

Katrina Hutchison (MQ)

Date: Tuesday, 4th of April
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 708, Macquarie University

ABSTRACT: Laboratory (or bench) testing plays a significant role in ensuring
that surgical implants such as hip replacements and pacemakers are safe. Often
bench tests are backed by standards, such as those set by the international
organization for standardization (ISO). Approvals bodies, as well as individual
surgeons and patients, place considerable faith in laboratory testing and the
standards that underpin them. Despite the important role of bench testing,
there has been very little discussion of associated ethical issues. In this
paper I argue that laboratory testing regimes are vulnerable to biases and
conflicts of interest that threaten patient safety. I illustrate the risks by
discussing the case of metal-on-metal hip replacements. Although regulators and
standards bodies have scope to address these problems, I argue that in fact
standards bodies such as the ISO are themselves vulnerable to bias and conflict
of interest. I conclude with preliminary recommendations for addressing these
issues.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hoch...@mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hoch...@mq.edu.au>)
or Mike Olson (michael.ol...@mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.ol...@mq.edu.au>)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available for
viewing and subscription by following this link:
goo.gl/3Iu7hk<https://goo.gl/3Iu7hk>

---

Adam Hochman
Lecturer in Philosophy & Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile |
http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626

Personal Website | adamhochman.com

T: +61 2 9850 8859<tel:%2B61%202%209850%206895>  |
arts.mq.edu.au<http://arts.mq.edu.au/><http://arts.mq.edu.au/><http://mq.edu.au/>

[Macquarie University]<http://mq.edu.au/>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: