Our next current projects seminar on Thursday 27 April at 300 will be:

Tuomas E. Tahko: "Varieties of Fundamentality"

Metaphysical fundamentality can be defined in various ways. For instance, the
fundamental may be conceived as ontologically independent, ungrounded, or as a
complete minimal basis. Common at least to all the usual ways of understanding
fundamentality is the idea of well-foundedness, the thought that the
fundamental serves as the termination point for some dependence relation or
other, often taken to be grounding. But well-foundedness itself can be
understood in many different ways and the correct way to understand it may also
depend on the relevant sense of fundamentality. In this paper, I will outline
these different conceptions of fundamentality and compare some of their
relative merits. A particular question of interest is whether some sense of
fundamentality could be compatible with infinite chains of dependence. It turns
out that there are at least a few different ways in which this is possible:
infinite descent does not necessarily rule out metaphysical foundationalism.
—

As usual, papers are in the Muniment Room in the Main Quad, USyd.

All welcome

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room S212, A 14

kmil...@usyd.edu.au
kristie_mil...@yahoo.com
Ph: +612 9036 9663
http://www.kristiemiller.net/KristieMiller2/Home_Page.html

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: