Lionel K. McPherson (Tufts), "What Deflating “Race” Means"

Date: Tuesday 15 August

Time: 13:00 - 14:00

Venue: W3A 501 (Blackshield room), Macquarie University (Q15 on campus
map<http://www.mq.edu.au/__data/assets/image/0010/183556/Campus-Map.png>)

Abstract:

“Race” has long searched for a stable, suitable idea, with no consensus on a
master meaning. What I call deflationary pluralism about the existence of race
recognizes that various meanings may be true as far as they go but avoids murky
disputes over whether there are races in some sense. There would appear to be
no fundamental puzzle to solve about the metaphysics of race. In place of the
race idea, I propose the idea of socioancestry. Black Americans, for example,
constitute an Africa-identified, socioancestrally black subgroup. “Race” talk
is not needed to sustain color-conscious approaches to social identity and
social justice. Visible continental ancestry is the root of the social reality
of color consciousness.

About our speaker:

Lionel K. McPherson is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Tufts University.
He received his PhD in philosophy from Harvard University. His publications,
which range from social and political philosophy to ethics, include “Deflating
‘Race’” (Journal of the American Philosophical Association), “Is Terrorism
Distinctively Wrong?” (Ethics), and “Normativity and the Rejection of
Rationalism” (Journal of Philosophy). He is completing a book, The Afterlife of
Race, about racial identity, political solidarity, and Black progress.

Lionel McPherson will also give the keynote at Thursday's CAVE Symposium,
Replacing Race. See mq.edu.au/cave/events<http://mq.edu.au/cave/events> for
details.

See you then!

Kelly

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>
www.facebook.com/MQCAVE<http://www.facebook.com/MQCAVE>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: