Firstly, I have a conflict of interest (I'm a phpBB Team Member) so I'll
just offer information/answer questions. My preference is obvious.

With regards to emails, you can, if you wish, subscribe to a forum/topic
and you will then receive new emails for new topics/posts. However they
don't generally include the topic/post content however
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1095015 adds the
content to the emails. A note about MODs for phpBB, they'll quite often
stay in RC for years due to the way their release cycles work and stable
means getting your MOD validated (which is a strict process) and into the
phpBB customisations database. You cannot reply to these emails (or you can
but it won't add a reply to the topic), however, again,
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=603719 might solve
that problem. The latter is no longer supported by the author (he isn't
active any more) and doesn't work on latest phpBB I'm sure it won't be too
much work to get it working.

If your not a fan of the whole fora splitting up discussions on the board
idea then there is something called phpBB Basic which makes the board into
one forum. Screenshots, Info, Download etc. is available from
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/phpbbasic/ or a demo at
http://www.davidiq.net/phpbbasic/ However segregating development from
support, as is done now on the two MLs, might a good idea?

Thanks,
Michael Cullum
phpBB Team Member

On Tuesday, 26 March 2013 06:52:00 UTC, Fabien Potencier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Unfortunately and for no reasons, the Symfony2 mailing-list is gone for
> the second time in a very short period of time. It happened some weeks
> ago and I was not able to contact anyone about the issue. The
> mailing-list came back and still not a single email from Google about
> what happened.
>
> So, I think it's time to move on. We cannot be hostages of Google for
> our support and our knowledge base. There are several options to replace
> the Google mailing-lists and I want to get your opinion on the best one
> to choose before doing anything (the decision will probably also impact
> all my other mailing-lists on Google - Swiftmailer, Silex, Twig, ...):
>
> * A - Migrate all the discussions on the Symfony forum
> (forum.symfony-project.org).
>
>    * Pros: it's online since 2005, it has a massive amount of registered
> people, we already have a big archive of knowledge there, it's written
> with phpBB (which uses Symfony and several core team members are also
> part of the Symfony community), it allows us to unify the community,
> which is split right now.
>
>    * Cons: Some people don't like forums because they want everything to
> happen in an email client (but it might be possible to use phpBB that
> way too).
>
> * B - Host our own mailing-list software and provide the same kind of
> service as Google Groups
>
>    * Pros: The disruption won't be big with what we have now.
>
>    * Cons: The community will still be split in two, only because of
> some preferences. What kind of software to use? All of them seems old
> and outdated. The only one that looks great is Lamson
> (http://lamsonproject.org/).
>
> * C - Use a more "modern" approach to discussions like the recently
> released Discourse software (http://www.discourse.org/) -- which is
> Open-Source.
>
> Of course, relying on a third-party is not an option anymore. So, stack
> overflow or any other forum/mailing-list providers are not an option.
>
> jQuery chose the first option (A) some time ago and they don't seem to
> regret it. Drupal also uses a forum and no mailing-list as far as I
> know. So, that works.
>
> Zend Framework and many other Open-Source projects hosts their own
> mailing-lists.
>
> My personal preference is either A or B without a clear winner. A is
> probably better for the community, B is probably less disruptive.
>
> What do you want us to do?
>
> Cheers,
> Fabien
>
> --
> Fabien Potencier
> SensioLabs CEO - Symfony lead developer
> sensiolabs.com | symfony.com | fabien.potencier.org
> +33 1 40 99 80 80

If you want to report a vulnerability issue on Symfony, please read the
procedure on http://symfony.com/security

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-devs?hl=en
---