Does symfony come with any level of support for memcache out of the
box? One of our sites was brought down from an influx of traffic from
email blasts.

Monitoring the slow query log, I made some changes to a few propel
queries. That relieved a lot of the stress, the site went from crashed
to sluggish.

Then we installed memcache on the servers. A few minutes later, before
making any actual code updates to use memcache, the slow query log
made a dead stop and the site was very speedy.

Any ideas? Mine are:
a) Symfony has some basic level of memcache support that kicked in
after we installed.
b) MySQL Query Cache kicked in from my previous updates to the slow
queries.