Hi,
I imagine that this has been discussed in great detail, but I have not
as yet seen any detailed discussion of it.  If you have a link, please
offer it, otherwise, I'm happy to continue this thred.

I have been building PHP and other language based apps for some time
(started about 1983), and over time have found a range of design tools
that I like, such as Enterprise Architect, ArgUML, pen and paper. I do
not like YAML as a declarative language and so prefer to design and
build my db's outside the symfony environment. I have no trouble with
doctrine:build-schema, but I find that as one gets into the design and
implementation of a system, there are going to be required
modifications to the db design, mostly because I forgot a certain
Foreign Key or column or the customer introduces a new requirement.

My understanding is that if I change the database I then need to
rebuild YML files, model etc completely.  Is this correct?

I'm not criticising the process, just trying to understand the best
approach to this.

It would be really cool if I could simply update ot add a single table
and then rollout those changes only, rather than a complete DB.

I am looking at potentially migrating a suite of applications in PHP/
PEAR (PEAR:DB, DatabaseObjects, QuickForm, QFC) with over 1,000,000
lines of PHP, three separate databases (mysql, MSSQL, pgsql) and
hundreds of tables in the db's. In this instance methodology is
important and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Stay well

security at symfony-project.com