ok.. shame on me.. it works with:
$author_tutorial = new AuthorTutorial();
$author_tutorial->author_id = $author->getId();
$author_tutorial->tutorial_id = $tutorial->getId();
$author_tutorial->save();

But how do I check for duplicates - if the $author is already linked
with the tutorial? Do I need to do a SELECT manually or is their some
function like: $tutorial->hasAuthor($author)?

security at symfony-project.com